USB Hard Drive on Debian (woody) - Kernel 2.4.24

I am trying to use an external USB 1.1 drive on a Debian (woody) system
with kernel 2.4.24.

I have been able to partition the USB drive as ext2 using the
SystemRescue CD (v0.2.9) with 'QtParted'.  It shows up as 'dev/sda', with the
partition as 'dev/sda1'.  However, when I try to use 'Partimage' on the
rescue CD to back up the partitions which reside on my hard drive, I
receive an error that there may not be enough room on the target disk
(not true) or I might not have permissions to write to the disk (the
rescue CD runs as root).

So, I am now trying to mount the USB drive from Debian to check into
this problem further, but have been unable to.  The drive does not show
up when I boot the system (or do an 'fdisk -l'), even though I do see
that usb is enabled:

usb.c: registered new driver hub
host/uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver V1.1

When I try to do what's below, I get the following error:
# mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1
# mkfs.ext2: No such device or address while trying to determine file
system size

When I try to do what's below, I get the following error:
# mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt
# mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

(same error with 'mount -t ext2 /dev/sda /mnt')

Any advice would be appreciated.

Barry