Re: SATA + debian

First check to make sure you can run the SATA devices in PATA emulation mode in hardware. If you can't, you will have to build a custom kernel on a different system so you can use it to when you load Debian. If you load using the SATA drives in PATA emulation mode, when you build your new kernel with the libata patches you will have to set the root device in the new kernel. Libata uses the SCSI subsystem so the devices names will be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb rather than /dev/hda and /dev/hdb. There is a little bit about this on the inux kernel email list.

I don't know about the motherboard and SATA controller you have. I'm using a ASUS A7N8X (sil3112 SATA chipset) with a couple of Seagate SATA drives on it. I'm using the libata patches on a 2.4.25-pre4 kernel. Each revision of libata is increasing it's reliability alot so it pays to get the latest. My SATA drives are in addition to my primary PATA drives. I boot off of my PATA drives, but then I put the initial system together long before SATA drives were genearally available.

- Bryan

Erik Steffl wrote:

Are there likely to be any troubles installing debian on a box with a
SATA hard drive?

The chipsets are:
    North Bridge: i865G
    South Bridge: iCH5-R

Can anyone point me to some good documentation relating to SATA and
linux?

not sure what R in ICH5-R means (I have intel D865-PERL motherboard with ICH5, at least I think it's ICH5 and SATA works)

you need fairly recent kernel (2.4.22 or something like that). Note that if you are using HD that's above 130GB you might need even newer kernel.

I use 2.4.21-ac4 with libata5 patches (ac4 for SATA, libata5 for >130GB support)

SATA disks can be seen as ide of scsi, I have only had success with scsi (kernel config CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y), otherwise the syustem freezes right after the disks are detected

    erik