Re: 256-color xterm

Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> No - the main thing here is whether your X server has enough colors available.
>> The 8-bit displays don't.  I've tested this mostly with 16-bit displays.
>> xterm has defaults for the color resources (compiled in), so that's normally
>> not a problem.  Otherwise, when color is enabled there's no additional
>> resources controlling whether the 256-colors are available.
>>

> sorry for coming back so quick, I found some info on the net and
> just restarted X with
> startx -- :1 -bpp 16

That looks right (for some reason I've forgotten, on one of my older boxes I
decided to not edit the XF86Config-4 file - probably to see what the automatic
configuration & updates would do).

But perhaps your XFree86 config-file doesn't have a display defined for that
value.  Mine's a bit hacked up (adapted settings from other systems my machine
boots on since the automatic configuration didn't work well).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net