Re: 256-color xterm

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:55:51PM -0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> > can anyone tell me how to build  an xterm with 256 colors using the
> > debian source package?  I'd just like a bit more flexibility -- and
> > I'd like to have the off-the-shelf values for emacs highlighting work
> > when I'm in a terminal.
>
> The simplest way is to use the configure script which is part of the
> sources (see the INSTALL file for a summary of options).
>
> The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
> There's an faq at
> 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> 	ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

thanks for this...  I'm a bit confuseed about the deb-src package for
xterm.  As you probably know, apt-get source xterm downloads files
named xfree86-4.2.1*.  The implication is that one needs to build the
whole of xfree86 in order to make a debian package; and following the
instructions from the debian reference manual, namely:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

from within the directory
xfree86-4.2.1

results in an attempt to build xfree86 (which fails, I suppose
because not all the sources are really present).

I am, however, able to use the configure script in the
/xfree86-4.2.1/upstream/archives/xc/programs/xterm
directory to turn on the --enable-256-colors switch.

sooo... should I now just make, make install a custom xterm -- or is
there in fact a way to make a .deb of xterm without building the whole
xfree86 suite?

Since I rely heavily on jdpkg/apt form anagingm y system, I'd really
rather build a .deb than just install porgrams willy-nilly.

Thanks,

matt