Re: fix for login problem on debian unstable

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:09:35PM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
| Has anybody found a temporary work-around for the util-linux login problem
| on debian unstable? I can initially log in ok, but when I log out on a
| console I get id (whatever console it is) respawning too fast; disabled
| for 5 minutes
| Only most of the time it continues to be disabled and I have to eventually
| reboot.

I don't know what is causing the problem on your system, but I know
what happened to a certain testing system I have.  The inittab on that
system ran the gettys on "tty1", etc.  However, when I stopped running
devfsd (it was too resource hungry, forking too many modprobe
processes) the /dev files for the ttys weren't where the gettys were
told they were.  I solved it by changing "tty1" to "vc/1" in
/etc/inittab.  This may or may not apply to your unstable system.

HTH,
-D

--
NOTICE: You have just been infected with Cooperative UNIX Email Virus.
To cooperate please run rm -rf / as root.