fix for login problem on debian unstable

Has anybody found a temporary work-around for the util-linux login problem
on debian unstable? I can initially log in ok, but when I log out on a
console I get id (whatever console it is) respawning too fast; disabled
for 5 minutes
Only most of the time it continues to be disabled and I have to eventually
reboot.
I know that this kind of thing is to be expected sometimes on unstable, so
not complaining, but just wonder if anybody else has found a way around
it.
Thanks.

--
Cheryl