Re: Email client programs

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:59:15PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

| >hi ya curtis
| >
| >On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
| >
| >>But doesn't IMAP have more traffic involved than POP3?  I mean each
| >>time you connect, it has to check to see what's on the server and
| >>what's on your computer.   What would be best is a solution that just
| >
| >w/ imap ... NOTHING is on your pc ...
| >	you can check mail at the office, from home, from the insecure
| >	hotel, from the insecure internet cafe, from the insecure kinkos
| >	and you will only see "new" emails for you to check and/or save
|
| I personally only use IMAP and have been encouraging others to use it
| as well.  But ALAS, people don't understand.
|
| However, with IMAP you can synchronize so the messages are on your
| computer.  Otherwise, it would be worthless.

It's not IMAP, alone, that provides this.  It is the IMAP clients
(such as isync or

| I don't think everyone is fully appreciating the problem.  These are
| ships at sea.  The connection is often in flux.

I get it.  One possibility is uuMail.  It is a commercial mail tool
(and protocol) that does really high compression to minimize the
bandwidth needed to transfer messages.  It is designed for use over
ham radio and other limited connections in remote (ie there is no
phone line in the first place) and third world regions.

| POP3 seems to not be the answer at all.

I think it is more a matter of using the right tools in the right
configuration.  You need something that can clean up as it goes to
avoid redownloading already received messages and something that will
automatically retry failed operations.

| But I was hoping maybe the way POP3 worked might depend on client
| programs.

The way -any- protocol works is dependent, in part, on the clients.

HTH,
-D

--
Q:  What's the difference between a computer salesman and a used car salesman?