/etc/init.d/ - add/remove services

What is the preferred way to add or remove a /etc/init.d/ service from certain
runlevels?

The Debian Policy Manual and man pages suggest I should use update-rc.d rather
than manipulate the symlinks directly.  The man page for update-rc.d says,
"If  any  files  /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist then update-rc.d
does nothing."  What do I do to remove a service from a particular run-level?

I have searched around and in the past, people have suggested to just
manipulate the symlinks directly.  Is this still the case?

I apologize if I have missed something obvious here!

Thanks,
Mike