Re: Sendmail vs Exim vs Others

Steve Lamb said:

>      Sendmail - so difficult to configure the configuration language needs
> macro language to make sense of it.
>
>      Exim - so easy to configure that in most cases you can do it with the
> comments in the config file.
>
>      That's where the comperison ends for me.  I've never found a need for
> sendmail in the modern 'net populated with Postfix and Exim.

Sendmail does a lot, the milter interface allows you to
massage/filter/virus scan email, and reject at the 5xx level.
With sendmail+mimedefang I can do some amazing things, set some address to
send only, filter by any combination of sender,recipient,relay,message
name,size,spam score,extension type, number of relay attempts,etc.

I use postfix on all my server's clients except for my primary and
secondary mail servers.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman