Re: Sendmail vs Exim vs Others

Ian Perry wrote:

I know this question is subjective to personal preferences....  Is there an
advantage to exim over sendmail or vice versa for ease of setup/maintenance
etc ?  I would be interested in comments from those who have used both.

sendmail is probably more difficult.

Is there something better than either of them ?

Define 'better'.

I have very little experience with either of them, and have found nothing in
the archives on the subject.  I need something extremely simple to simply
send and receive mail, but not to be an open relay.

I have been to both exim and sendmail websites and both 'seem' to do pretty
much the same job and can get as complex as you want.

I'll throw postfix into the ring. It's very secure and still very flexible. You may want to use a more recent version than the one in woody, though, but a backport is available on http://www.backports.org.

Cheers,
Tobias