Re: disregard post re: sound!

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 13:59, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
--snip--
> Since you seem to actually understand all this stuff ...
>
> How does alsa fit into all of this?  If I have working sound drivers in
> the kernel, should I care about alsa at all?

ALSA is a kernel-level driver for the sound device, replacing OSS. The
basic chain of events for sound goes a little something like this:

esd or artsd -> kernel level drivers (alsa or oss) -> sound card

esd and artsd are technically optional. You can feed sound directly to
either oss or alsa and have it work. I know that alsa can deal with
multiple audio streams at once, but I don't believe that oss can, hence
the need for things like esd or artsd.

I would suggest that if your soundcard is supported by ALSA, to use it.
I've had much better results with ALSA than I have with OSS on all of my
machines. It's a little bit more work to set it up, but well worth it.

Coincidentally, as the discussion was originally about esd and the such,
I thought I'd share a few fun quotes from Alan Cox regarding esd:

"esound is junk. The only thing esd has is a good client API for going
boing at approximately the right time. Anything else is beyond it."

"I don't know why and I'm not yet motivated to fix it since my views on
esd are mostly unprintable."

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837