Re: Web server with PHP setup & mod-ssl

Danny O'Brien wrote:

I'm rebuilding a web server with a home-grown PHP site that allows users to log in securely, to view, upload, and download files. This is my first real foray into Debian.

Here's the spec:

Kernel2.4.18-bf2.4
Apache1.3.26-0woo
openssl0.9.6c-2.wo
postgres7.2.1-2wood
php4.1.2-6wood

My questions:

- does "apt-get upgrade" always provide the most secure versions? The reason I ask is:

- Apache 1.3.26 seems ancient -- is this an OK version to run? I have executed apt-get upgrade, and apt.conf is set for "stable."

- also, openssl is up to 0.9.6 "l" -- 0.9.6 "c" also seems ancient.

- My previous build ran mod-ssl. However, there is no mod-ssl package in Debian. Has anyone installed mod-ssl under Debian, or is there a better program for this function?

TIA

- Danny O'Brien

Unless you want to venture into the waters of testing or unstable you are about as good as you can get. You should install apache-ssl if you want to set up a secure server & especially if this is a production system. That will take care of your mod-ssl issues. Apache2 which is OK in unstable is MUCH easier to work with.....but it is in UNSTABLE :-)

--
John Foster
Advance-Computing Systems