Name resolving doesn't work

I had a hangup when I called mozilla during execution of pon, so I had
to hardware-reset my system. Now that nameserver thing doesn't work
anymore: a ping to the 'P-t-P' address obtained from ifconfig
works. Pinging any full qualified name doesn't. My configuration files
are:

/etc/hostname:
  office.dpc388.net

/etc/hosts
  127.0.0.1	localhost
  192.168.1.2	office.dpc388.net	office

/etc/networks
  loopback	127.0.0.0
  localnet	192.168.1.0

/etc/host.conf
  order hosts,bind
  multi on

/etc/resolv.conf
  search	dpc388.net
  nameserver	192.168.1.2

/etc/ppp/peers/provider
  # This optionfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
  #
  hide-password
  noauth
  connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
  debug
  /dev/ttyS4
  115200
  defaultroute
  noipdefault
  user frankh

  ipparam provider

  usepeerdns

I don't understand why this should configure my system to use my ISP's
nameserver. All I know is that it once worked and now it doesn't any
more.

Any help?