Re: software raid

Hi,

Harland Christofferson wrote:
> i am trying to configure raid-1 via software. my kernel is 2.4.18-
> 1-586tsc. i do not have /etc/raidtools or /proc/mdstat. am i safe
> to assume that raid support is not compiled into this kernel? if
> this is true, what options do i have? are modules good to use? if
> so, which ones?

Check the kernel config file /boot/config-2.4.18-1-586tsc
the relevant section should look like this

#
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
CONFIG_MD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=m
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID5=m
CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM=m

If this is ok, try to load the kernel modules:
modprobe -v md
modprobe -v raid1
the file /proc/mdstat should then appear automagically

I have installed and use raidtools2, I create /etc/raidtab
manually (see man raidtab).

However, to create the configuration, there is also mdadm, which
may be your friend.

Package: mdadm
 mdadm is a program that can be used to create, manage, and monitor MD
 devices.  As such it provides a similar set  of functionality  to the
 raidtools packages.

This is all you need __UNLESS__ you want to boot from such a
device. In that case you need to make sure that the relevant
initrd.img has sufficient modules and scripts coming with it.
Please refer to the HOWTOs

% find /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/ -iname \*raid\*
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Antares-RAID-sparcLinux-HOWTO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/ATA-RAID-HOWTO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/DPT-Hardware-RAID.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Linux-Promise-RAID1-HOWTO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Root-RAID-HOWTO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.gz
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Software-RAID-HOWTO.gz

and references therein (package doc-linux-text).

Cheers,
Erich