Re: Installing Debian Unstable From Scratch

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Chavdar Videff wrote:

> Ok
> This was asked maybe a thousand times.
> and I've read it again and again.
> and didn't take notes.
> Now that I need it I don't have time to look through the list archives.
> I am apologizing for taking your time, but would anyone not so busy with more
> important things help me through the steps for setting up Debian Unstable
> >From Scratch.
> What I did so far was use the rescue and root floppies from Debian Woody in
> order to boot and setup base system.
> Right now I got stuck in configuring apt-get to use unstable.
> What should I do to tell apt-get to use the Unstable from the site
> ftp.au.debian.org for example?
> Thank you in advance
> Next time I will not delete messages that I may need at some point.
> Regards
> Chavdar Videff

pretty simple. Your start is good :). Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and
replace woody or testing to sarge or unstable, or better, add an unstable
line to it, like:

deb ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

with ftp.nl.uu.net your favorite and closest debian mirror.

Then run apt-get update to refresh the lists and apt-get dist-upgrade to
upgrade to unstable. Then continu installing packages.

Cheers,
Sebas

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)