Lilo menu?

Hi people.

What's the go with LILO supplied with Debian 3.0? I cant get it to boot
anything other than what it comes with. What's the trick? Where am I going
wrong?

I added the new kernel I made to /boot/ and the added a section for it to
lilo.conf. I run lilo, it says it's added it, but when I reboot Im greeted
with a "LILO 22.2" message and then after the delay time is reached (tested
by upping to 200) it boots the default option (havent tried changing default
to see what happens).

All I want to do is have the standard Boot: prompt or a simple menu. For the
life of me, I cant find anything about what it's doing. Anyone know what to
do with it? I need to test my kernel (since it's a scary bugger needing
satellite and tv tuner drivers among other things).

Thanks in advance

Tim Bates