maximum system stack allowed size limited to 2052kB (winex3)

I tried to install winex3 (haven't installed anything over it
yet). When I try to start I get the following warning:

Your system requires the use of pthreads but the maximum system allowed
stack size of 2052 kB may be too small for some games.

Any idea what is setting this limit and if it can be changed? I looked
in /etc/security/limits.conf and there is nothing set there concerning
the stack, and the settings in the kernel seem to say 8M.

Thanks