Re: graphic system setup

Hello

Marius Amado Alves (<amado.alves@netcabo.pt>) wrote:

> [...]
> I cannot get X to work properly.
>
> "startx" runs but shows in a 320x200 mode
> even though I select a higher mode in the configuration.
>
> Also, it shows only in the bottom half of the screen.
>
> The input devices seem to work. The problem is just the graphics.
>
> I've been configuring with xf86config and also hand editing.
> Is there another way?

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

if you use XFree 4.1 You should however use XFree 3.3.6 instead. It is
also included in Woody. You should install xserver-s3.

> I don't know my monitor frequencies exactly.
> The tag on the back says:
>   Model 14A
>   14" color monitor
>   100-240 V 50/60 Hz 1.0 A
>   LEO Systems Inc.
>
> It's a terribly common monitor.
>
> My card is a S3 TrioV64+, but I don't know the memory size. I've tried
> from 256k to 2M.
>
> I've tried S3 TrioV64+ as well as "generic" entries in sf86config.

The problem is that your card is not supported by XFree 4.1 See
<http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status28.html#28> for more information.
Install XFree 3.3.6.

> (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
> (**) VGA(0): Depth 8, (--) framebuffer bpp 8
> (==) VGA(0): RGB weight 666
> (==) VGA(0): Default visual is PseudoColor
> (==) VGA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> (==) VGA(0): videoRam: 64 kBytes.

You are using the vga driver, and it does not work properly. I had the
same problems with XFree 4.1 and both a S3 TrioV64+ and a old Cirrus
Logic card. It should work with XFree 3.3.6. The other alternative is
to upgrade to XFree 4.3, this should also support your card. Go to
<http://www.apt-get.org> to find some backported packages for Woody.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--