Re: How to upgrade to 2.4.23 (or .18) kernel

Kent West wrote:

>     apt-get update
> will update your list of available packages
>
>     apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4
> will show you what available flavors of the 2.4 kernel you have
> available in your list
>
>     apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7
> will install the 2.4 kernel for Athlons
>
> You may need to configure your system to use the correct module.
> "modconf" is your friend, then search down the lists for net/tulip.
> After installing this module (I think this is the correct module for the
> NetGear 311), you should be able to restart your network and be in business.
You mite wanna google this. I read someone using the 2.2.16 kernel who
said he used apt-get, got the new 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, and completely
trashed his system, and had to reinstall from his old CD to get anything
working again. Seems like some backwards comapatability was lost in
moving from that old to a more recent kernel.

I have decided to abandon trying to upgrade, and see if I can find a
better browser that will run on what I already have. 2.2.18