Re: How to upgrade to 2.4.23 (or .18) kernel

brfg3 at yahoo wrote:

I have Debian3 rc2. After installing from the CD, the command uname -r shows
a 2.2 kernel. I want to use a 2.4 kernel for USB and IPTables support. I
made two attemps to install a debian kernel image from two different
tutorials and both times kernel did not find the standard netgear 311 nic
card. It works in 2.2, though. I changed the nic to a linksys, and then a
dlink (both cards are detected by suse 7.0 - 9.0 and Red Hat 7.1 - 9.0), and
still got the same result. This leads me to the conclusion that there must
be something I missed. Is there some other undocumented or little-known step to making a the standard Debian 2.4.18 kernel detect my NIC? ? Is there some way to install a 2.4.18 kernel while installing from the cd, and maybe avoid
this hassle?

   apt-get update
will update your list of available packages

   apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4
will show you what available flavors of the 2.4 kernel you have available in your list

   apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7
will install the 2.4 kernel for Athlons

You may need to configure your system to use the correct module. "modconf" is your friend, then search down the lists for net/tulip. After installing this module (I think this is the correct module for the NetGear 311), you should be able to restart your network and be in business.

--
Kent