Re: Derivative effects.

Micha Feigin wrote:

> Dos people haven't figured out how to get more then one program running
> at a time and windows haven't figured out how to get a program running
> for more then five minutes without going into the infamous blue screen
> of death.
I dont do windoz, never have. But you are not correct. DR-DOS, since at
least 5, have had taskswitching.
But, I dont use my pc to run a fax in the background anymore. I dunno
anyone who still tries.

And most of the time, when I load dos, I dont bother with the
multitasking functionality.
dos programs are so small you can open and close them faster than you
can open and close the windows of a gui.

But yes, ms windoz is shit, always has been. And sure, you can use the
CLI to go mucking around in the user permissions and setup files to get
a debian install to come up to the single user desktop just like dos
does. But the point is, that the windoz users dont know how to do that,
and the option should be there in the ansi color scrollbar installation
menus, which it aint. That aint a problem with Linux per se, but with
the cultural effect of the distro programmer teams working in a
networked environment.

Sure the win newbies are stupid; but their market share is such, that if
you want more development of more functionality offered to debian users,
then you need to make it simple for them.