Re: graphic system setup

Marius Amado Alves <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> writes:

> I cannot get X to work properly.
>
> "startx" runs but shows in a 320x200 mode
> even though I select a higher mode in the configuration.
>
> Also, it shows only in the bottom half of the screen.
>
> The input devices seem to work. The problem is just the graphics.
>
> I've been configuring with xf86config and also hand editing.
> Is there another way?

'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' will get you yet another
configurator.  Editing the XF86Config file by hand is mostly fine,
too.

> I don't know my monitor frequencies exactly.
> The tag on the back says:
>   Model 14A
>   14" color monitor
>   100-240 V 50/60 Hz 1.0 A
>   LEO Systems Inc.

"This is a monitor, it can be used on US and European power."
Sometimes applying Google for the manufacturer and model number can
get you the manual if you've lost yours.

> My card is a S3 TrioV64+, but I don't know the memory size. I've tried
>>From 256k to 2M.

I think S3 cards in general lost support between XFree86 3.3 and 4.0;
you might try using the older X servers in woody, e.g. xserver-s3.

> (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
> (**) VGA(0): Depth 8, (--) framebuffer bpp 8

...you're using the (very generic, unfeatureful) VGA driver, not
anything specific to your hardware.

	-- Abra Mitchell