Re: iptables firewall

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 10:11, Brian Schmidt wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a proper firewall, and have a decent one set up so
> far..
> A few things I'm missing though are the ability to allow/deny ipranges,
> so I have been looking around a bit, and saw that there was a module
> called iprange.
> How do I install this with debian? Doesn't seem like there is an option
> to enable it when building a kernel, nor any deb package with it, and to
> be honest I'm quite a linux illiterate when it comes to patching
> something like iptables :(
>
> Another thing with iptables I have been thinking of letting my firewall
> do, is to give a proper reply to connections on closed ports, rather
> than just dropping the connection.
> Reason for this is that I run a few services for LAN only that I cannot
> simply bind to the LAN side. Also when people know my host is up and
> tries to connect to a specific port, rather than having to time out
> their client would just get the standard (its even in som RC if I
> remember correct) "closed" reply.
>
> Hope someone is able to help on this one..

A quick overview of the relevant Debian packages:
fwbuilder     1.1.1-0.1 Firewall administration tool GUI
fwbuilder-ipf 1.1.1-0.1 FreeBSD 4.4 ipf policy compiler
fwbuilder-ipt 1.1.1-0.1 Linux iptables policy compiler
fwbuilder-pf  1.1.1-0.1 OpenBSD pf policy compiler
libfwbuilder5 1.0.2-0.1 Firewall Builder API library
iptables      1.2.9-3   IP packet filter administration tools
kernel-image  2.4.24-1  Linux Kernel Image

FWBuilder == Very Nice, excellent, extended, workable Firewall Script
builder. Nice feature set, Nice wizard (that mostly works) gives yyou
something to start with...

I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything else.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net