Re: ATI radeon 9200, 2.6 kernel, xfree 4.3 - but still bad performance (dri failing?)

Alan Chandler wrote:
I an trying to get my radeon 9200 based graphics to perform properly with 3D. It worked with Gentoo, but now I've switched back to Debian, I can get it to work, and I can't find out whats wrong.

I am using a standard "kernel-image-2.6.0-1-k7" debian package "xserver-xfree" and "xlibmesa-dri" are from experimental - giving the following version string in the log

XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0-0pre1v5 20031207095205 daniels@debian.org)

Hi Alan,

i also own a radeon 9200 and had similar problems. What does lsmod show,
is the agpgart and radeon module loaded?
When I switched to 2.6 these two modules were loaded in my case, but dri didn't work also. The trick was, that I had to load the intel-agp (HP compaq nx7000 notebook) module before the module agpgart was loaded. Since I don't know, if your chipset is an Intel you could also try ati-agp or via-agp. You can find available modules under /lib/modules/2.6.0-1-k7/kernel/drivers/char/agp/.
With this setup glxgears yields 1550 fps at 24bp.
When you found the right module put it in /etc/modules.

Hope this helps,

Michael

E-Mail: biebl@teco.edu
WWW: http://www.teco.edu/

TecO (Telecooperation Office) Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str.1
University of Karlsruhe 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany