iptables firewall

I'm trying to set up a proper firewall, and have a decent one set up so far.. A few things I'm missing though are the ability to allow/deny ipranges, so I have been looking around a bit, and saw that there was a module called iprange. How do I install this with debian? Doesn't seem like there is an option to enable it when building a kernel, nor any deb package with it, and to be honest I'm quite a linux illiterate when it comes to patching something like iptables :(

Another thing with iptables I have been thinking of letting my firewall do, is to give a proper reply to connections on closed ports, rather than just dropping the connection. Reason for this is that I run a few services for LAN only that I cannot simply bind to the LAN side. Also when people know my host is up and tries to connect to a specific port, rather than having to time out their client would just get the standard (its even in som RC if I remember correct) "closed" reply.

Hope someone is able to help on this one..

Sincerely

Brian Schmidt