Re: Unable to disable IDE DMA on boot

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:41:35AM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 03:40:18 +0200, Johannes Lehtinen wrote:
> > I have a problem disabling IDE DMA. I am trying to install Debian Sarge
> > in to an old laptop and with DMA enabled (default) I keep getting DMA
> > timeouts and retries from /dev/hda. The kernel image is 2.4.23-1-386
> > (2.4.23-1).
>
> You could turn it off with hdparm.

That would be fine if it were not the hard disk drive that does not work
with DMA enabled. Having the DMA enabled (as it is by default using this
kernel) the laptop does not start up to the point where hdparm would be
executed. Or well, it might if I would wait several hours for each
read/write request to timeout :)

So I need to disable the DMA right at boot. Usually this has been done
by giving the kernel "ide=nodma" parameter but now with the modular
kernel this does not appear to work.

--
Johannes Lehtinen <johannes.lehtinen@iki.fi>, http://www.iki.fi/jle/