Re: apt/sources.list error

> On 22 Jan 2004, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:
> > but apt-get install fails to see the package:
> >
> >   $ sudo apt-get install postfix=2.0
> >
> > To get the specified version, I had to specify it, but doing it this
> > way results in the error that package not found. I tried 2.0.16
> > also. It seems I'm not accessing the directory holding the package.
>
> The settings in sources.list are correct. You can check this with
> "apt-cache policy postfix". To install the backported version, you have to
> specify either the complete version or an regexp. So both
> "postfix=2.0.16-4.woody.1" and "postfix=2.0.16*" should work.

Thanks. I find the postfix has a dependency and so I'm on the path to
get it. Hope this is not an infinite regress.

You suggested check on whether my sources.list were correct by running
apt-cache policy postfix.

I tried that and got: E: Invalid operation policy.

Where can I read up on this?

Haines Brown