Re: apt/sources.list error

> > > I'm running woody, but need to install a backport of postfix. So I
> > > added to /etc/aptsources.list the line:
> > >
> > >   deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/postfix/
> >
> > 	This sounds strange, should be /etc/apt/sources.list.  Are you sure
> > about the line?  hmh/postfix/ sounds strange, check that it is really
> > there.
>
> The actual url of the postfix backport is:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/hmh/postfix/postfix_2.0.16-4.woody.1_i386.deb

With the above line in sources.list, I can run apt-get update without
a problem. But getting the postfix backport file is still a
challenge. I read and reread the manual, and still can't seem to get
it.

One option would be to say that "woody" represents the distribution,
and then I specify the component holding the postfix file as a path:

1. deb http://people.debian/org/~hmh woody /hmh/postfix

But perhaps since it is a path, it should end in a slash:

2. deb http://people.debian/org/~hmh woody /hmh/postfix/

Or perhaps I should specify the complete path to the desired file:

3. deb http://people.debian/org/~hmh/woody/hmh/postfix/

the manual says to append the slash, but perhaps not:

4. deb http://people.debian/org/~hmh/woody/hmh/postfix

These were,

1. coultn't stat package list
2. couldn't stat package list
3. malformed
4. malformed

The only one which allows the update is:

  deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/postfix/

but apt-get install fails to see the package:

  $ sudo apt-get install postfix=2.0

To get the specified version, I had to specify it, but doing it this
way results in the error that package not found. I tried 2.0.16
also. It seems I'm not accessing the directory holding the package.

Haines