Re: wanted: postfix incoming mail server HOWTO

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:29:06PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:01:02PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > Sorry, I didn't explain the problem very well. I can send/receive mail on
> > the (debian stable) box. Mail goes into /var/mail/username. But now I need
> > to figure out how to:
> > 	(1) let users pick up mail from the box -- I have courier-pop (because
> > 	it was alphabetically first in the list that I found).
>

> > 	(2) forward mail to another email address (I'm not sure at what point I
> > 	can start using .forward files).
>
> Update: #2 already works. Now I'm just looking to solve #1. :)

If courier-pop is anything like ipopd, it Just Works without any
configuring. With ipopd, you just install it, then user foo can connect to
port 110 with their normal username and password, and read mail out of
/home/foo/mbox. So I'd guess what you want to do is configure postfix to
deliver direct to /home/*/Maildir instead of /var/mail/*, and you're away.
Send a test message to some user, telnet to port 110 with that user's
normal login username and password, type "list" to see what's there. If that
works, any pop3 client will work.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons