Re: Semi-Old Video Card Recommendation

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:42:29 -0500,
Paul Morgan <paulswm@earthlink.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] pan.2004.01.21.18.42.25.949960@earthlink.net>:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:30:39 +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:41:59AM +0800, Ryan Mackay wrote:
> >> If you dont choose this chipset i would suggest sticking with
> >nVidia> none the less, they do support Linux (or Xwindows should i
> >say) alot> more/better than other companies.
> >
> > Hmm, I'm constantly advising people NOT to buy nVidia stuff because
> > they are LESS Free-software friendly than other companies. They may
> > provide Linux drivers but they are binary-only. No source code or
> > hardware specs are available, so you're really in the same boat as
> > you are with Windoze.
> >
> > For example, <http://dri.sourceforge.net/dri_status.phtml> lists
> > plenty of ATI support:
> >

> I'm using ATI Xpert 2000 64MB on a 1600x1200 monitor, no problems
> whatsoever, no need to get non-debian drivers, has all worked great
> for the last two years, very happy with it.

..from lspci -v:
01:00.0
	VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC \
AGP (rev 7a) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0084
	Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, stepping, medium \
devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
 	Memory at ea000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
        I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
        Memory at e9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 1

..huh?  I was _damned_ sure I had 8MB Video ram???
Runs 1600x1200x24 @ 59 fps, only issue is X restricts
video bw to 162MHz, the card can do 230MHz.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: