Re: Semi-Old Video Card Recommendation

Sometime near Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:45:08PM +0000, M. Kirchhoff wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new video card, so I'm fishing for suggestions.  I will
> mostly be working in 2D apps (mainly internet, office apps).  I do *not* intend
> to play any taxing 3D games such as Quake or Counter-Strike; however, I would
> like to do some video editing (transferring home movies to DVD or VCD, perhaps
> some DVD ripping).
>
> Ideally, I'd like to run at 1600x1200 or higher on a 20" monitor at 24bit color
> depth.
>
> Would a pre-Radeon ATI card or pre-GeForce3 nVidia card do the trick? Would I
> need to bother with compiling the proprietary drivers if not using 3D apps? In
> perusing the list archives, I see that the newer ATI/nVidia cards will not even
> work without grabbing XFree 4.3 from Experimental, so I'd rather use an older
> card that works out of the box with Sarge/Sid and kernel 2.4.x, particularly if
> I don't need to extra power of the newer cards.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

If i was you, i would take the best of both worlds and go with a GeForce
4 MX440

Pros:
	* Can handle quite heavy 3d games (UT-2003 800x600x24 quite playable)
	* Can do all the high res/depth stuff
	* Is fully compatible with hardware acceleration with Linux
	* Dirt cheap

Im in Australia at the moment and over here a standard MX440 will set me
back about $70AUD, not much at all for what you get :)

If you dont choose this chipset i would suggest sticking with nVidia
none the less, they do support Linux (or Xwindows should i say) alot
more/better than other companies.
--
Cheers,
rinmak <rinmak@technine.org>