Re: Internet Religion

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:16:12PM +0000, Sean Furey wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:00:12PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:01:47PM -0800, Day Brown wrote:
> > > When you get right down to it, both Christianity and
> > > Islam are dangerous cults.
> >
> > How can you claim that a religion which preaches love for one's fellow
> > people is a dangerous cult? This is a tenet of both Christianity and Islam.
>
> Of all the places that something like this could have come up right
> now, debian-user would have been the last one I'd expect...
>
> Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say that Christianity and Islam are
> nothing but dangerous cults, it is only recently that I've become
> aware that many/most Christians believe that non-Christians are
> automatically destined for hell.  Christianity does preach love for
> one's fellow people as you say, but in my opinion that belief makes it
> a very disturbing and possibly dangerous faith.

There is usually one point left out of these dscussions.

It is a waste of time debating whether what Christians or Muslims
believe is dangerous or not before you answer the first and most
important question: "Is what they believe *true*?"

I think the evidence in favour of Biblical Christianity is
overwhelming - from Archealogy to Experience it all makes sense and
adds up.

And one thing is for sure - not everybody can be right ;)

So therefore it has to be important to at least find out what others
believe and investigate to a point where you can be confident you
haven't bought somebody elses lie.

> This is of course completely off-topic, but I'd be happy to continue
> off-list if you're interested.

Throw me in on your off list discussion if you want.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a