Re: your mail

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:23:48AM +0530, Tarun Singhal wrote:

> Largest Matrimonial Portal For Agarwal
>
> We have the largest collection of  Agarwal Bride & Groom

"On the other hand, the Indian middle class is rejecting certain types
of global cultural forces.  One of the less appealing but increasingly
visible forces of cultural globalization in Indian is the evangelical
Christian movement.  Missionary activity in India is growing at a rapid
pace as these movements become increasingly 'Fordist', or assembly line,
in character.  Missionaries, primarily from American and Europe, spend a
month or so in Indian cities forming and training 'cell groups' of
individuals who in turn prosyletize.  This in turn has led to tension
between missionaries and pro-Hindu groups and has resulted in the
killing of seven missionaries.  These deaths were spotlighted by the
national media and led to national debate about the position of relgious
minorities in India.  The middle classes were vocal in expressing their
distress ah the changing nature of missionary actiivity in the country,
as well as the intolerant response to it."

from "A Tryst with Destiny: The Indian Case of Cultural Globalization"
by Tulasi Srinivas, in "Many Globalizations: Cultural Diversity in the
Contemporary World", ed. by Peter L. Berger and Samual P. Huntington,
(c)2002.  p.92.