Re: Tuning X

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:26:11PM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I have an ATI-rage 3D AGP 64m card. Not a terrific game playing card but my
> main focus is not games. However, I would like to get the same level of
> performance I have under Windows. There, I have full hardware acceleration.
>
> How do I set it up here: No choices under KDE/Knoppix dialogs.

I have an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP 64M card (not on this system) which gives me
around 775fps in glxgears, using a woody backport of X 4.3. Not quite the
same, but the basic principles are (from memory):

- Set the kernel up right. Under "Character devices" in make menuconfig
enable "/dev/agpgart (AGP Support)" for your motherboard's chipset. Then go
down a bit to "Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support)" and enable
that with "ATI Rage 128 support".

- Tell X to use the correct driver. I think it's called "ati" for your card,
but check that (see xf86config).

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons