Re: Problem with Startx - Intel 8284 5G

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:38:50AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Praveen Kumar wrote:
> >Guys !
> >Finally I was able to run my USB mouse under GPM... but i am still not
> >able to start my X server... i am attaching the new log below:
> <snip>
>
> >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> >(**) Option "Buttons" "5"
> >(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 5
> >(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> >(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> >(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
> >Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> >
> >Fatal server error:
> >Caught signal 4.  Server aborting
>
> Looks like your keymap is your problem this time, but I'm not sure, as
> it says it's falling back to a default. Are you getting a gray-ish
> screen with a black X in the center for a second or two before X dies,
> or does it not even get that far?
>
> Two other things that cross my mind:
>
> 1) Make sure you have a window manager installed ("apt-get install
> icewm" will do), as if X can't find a wm, it'll die, IIRC.

It looks to me as if X has initialised and written as much to the log file
as one would expect it to. There is only one line in my log after the "Adding
extended input device" line, a line about "Could not init font path element
blurgle". AIUI the next stage is starting the window manager, so it may well
be a WM-related problem.

Signal 4 is "Illegal instruction". If you do have a WM installed, try a
different one. If that makes the problem go away, you should probably report
a bug in your current WM, including your hardware details.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons