Re: Problem with Startx - Intel 8284 5G

Praveen Kumar wrote:

Guys !
Finally I was able to run my USB mouse under GPM... but i am still not able to start my X server... i am attaching the new log below:

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes@XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)
<snip>

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Buttons" "5"
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 5
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

Looks like your keymap is your problem this time, but I'm not sure, as it says it's falling back to a default. Are you getting a gray-ish screen with a black X in the center for a second or two before X dies, or does it not even get that far?

Two other things that cross my mind:

1) Make sure you have a window manager installed ("apt-get install icewm" will do), as if X can't find a wm, it'll die, IIRC.

2) Are you sure you finished the installation? You might want to run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade" (or even "apt-get dist-upgrade"), or run "dselect" and update, select, install, configure. If you have any incompletely installed packages, this should fix them.

--
Kent