Re: Login

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:25:51AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:18:58PM -0000, Cristiano Tavares - SP wrote:
> > Why doesn't my Debian system let me login with root?
>
> Because it's not bright.  Log in as a normal user, and use su -m to
> get root.

Just be aware that telnet is a security disaster.  Use ssh instead.

IIRC, securetty(5) is what you should read; do ``tty'' at the command
prompt, to get the name of a tty you are currently working on.  Also,
some people prefer sudo to su; it fits some tasks better.

HTH, YMMW, HAND.

Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9