Re: root pass

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:33:27PM +0100, konf wrote:
> during the installation of debian testing/unstable i missed menu
> offering to set root password.how should i login to the system?is the

(1) When (re-)configuring a system, have a paper notebook handy.  Unless
you have an infaliable memory, this is a paramount.

> any default password for root set by installation?

(2) At the kernel command line, add ``init=/bin/sh'' at the end.  This
should boot the sh(1) shell just after the kernel is booted,
circumventing any security measures.  Depending on your setup, you might
have to boot off a rescue/install disk in order to get a bootloader prompt.
(3) at the shell prompt, mount the filesystem carrying /etc/shadow for write access: ``mount -o remount,rw /''
(4) call the password alteration command: ``passwd''; change the password.
(5) unmount, so that you won't get fs corruption: ``mount -o remount,ro /''
(6) just to be sure the data are really written: ``sync'' and wait a while
(7) reboot

I hope I didn't miss anything, I'm writing this off of the top of my
head ;-)

You can see, there is not much to the Unix security if the attacker can
mess with the bootup process.   Restricting physical access, and/or
setting up bootup/bootloader passwords is a necessity when security is
an issue.

HTH,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9