Re: Recommended ISP's

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 04:35:37PM -0500, Brett Carrington wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:26:29PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:07:04PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> > > I don't know how it's done, but it's totally true: everything on your
> > > cable modem can be intercepted easily by people on your same subnet.
> >
> > Not these days.  Cable companies got a bit more security conscious
> > about 5 years ago.
> But how? The lines are -still- shared, they didn't change the entire
> infastructure. Is each user's cable connection now encrypted end-to-end?
> I imagine any amount of secure encryption would really hurt people
> trying to play bandwidth-heavy games. (Not in actual bandwidth but computational
> time on what I assume are minimally powered cable modems.)

The specification is called Docsis (data over cable specification
something something) 2.0.  I know each cable modem has a digital
certificate in it used for authentication - Cisco's cable modems use a
variant of the thing they use for requesting certs for routers.

I wrote a policy module for Windows Certificate Services for Cisco to
handle it.  I know they have the *capacity* to basically do IPsec or
encrypt everything, but they're not currently.  Won't that be exciting
when they do!