Re: confused with initrd.gz VERSES initrd.img

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:39:34PM -0800, Dennis Kaplan wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Sorry for using caps I did it to disdingush between the code
>
> THIS IS WHAT MY LILO LOOKS RIGHT NOW.
>
> 		boot=/dev/hdb
> 		vga=791
> 		timeout=50
> 		append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi
> hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
>
> 		prompt
> 		delay = 50
> 		root=/dev/hdb1
>
> 		image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
> 			label=Linux.org
> 			read-only
> 			initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

Hi Dennis,
ok. so the above says you did a knoppix install (a guess) since xfs is
not a ususall choice for including in the kernel. this stanza says that
you are using the 2.4.22 kernel with xfs included because the root
partition may use it. it also says that your config also has an
initrd(initial ram disk). this is used by the kernel to help with hard
ware support. IIRC it contains kernel modules and other things.

> THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD BE I GUESS
>
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> image=/vmlinuz
>      label=Linux
>      initrd=/initrd.img
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>      label=Linux.old
>      initrd=/initrd.img.old
maybe. no sure. usually /vmlinuz is a symbolic link to
/boot/vmlinuz-<version>. and /vmlimuz.old would be a link to an
older/alternate /boot/vmlinuz-<version>. AND both kernels need initrd.

> THIS IS WHAT I HAVE IN MY BOOT FOLDER AFTER INSTALLING KERNEL2.6.01-686
> THE INSTALL ASKED IF I LIKE TO HAVE THE LINKS MADE AND i CONFIRMED WITH YES.
> I DON'T SEE THE LINKS AND initrd.gz VERSES initrd.img TOTALLY GET ME CONFUSED
>

> System.map -> System.map-2.4.22-xfs
> System.map-2.4.22-xfs
> System.map-2.6.0-1-686
> boot.0340
> config-2.4.22-xfs
> config-2.6.0-1-686
> debian.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp
> debianlilo.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debianlilo.bmp
> initrd.gz
> initrd.img-2.6.0-1-686
> map
> sarge.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sarge.bmp
> sid.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
> vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
> vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
> vmlinuz-2.6.0-1-686
>

> Could someone please explain this to me?
well I'd have to see you lilo.conf for exact details. but...
since System.map is a simlink to System.map-2.4.22-xfs, it looks like
you are set to boot 2.4.22 and not 2.6.0, since the simlink should be
pointing there. BUT this depends on you lilo.conf.

This is my guess as I'm not a kernel config expert.
-Kev