Re: confused with initrd.gz VERSES initrd.img

On Saturday 17 January 2004 03:42 pm, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:39:34PM -0800, Dennis Kaplan wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Sorry for using caps I did it to disdingush between the code
> >
> > THIS IS WHAT MY LILO LOOKS RIGHT NOW.
> >
> > 		boot=/dev/hdb
> > 		vga=791
> > 		timeout=50
> > 		append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi
> > hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
> >
> > 		prompt
> > 		delay = 50
> > 		root=/dev/hdb1
> >
> > 		image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
> > 			label=Linux.org
> > 			read-only
> > 			initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
>
> Hi Dennis,
> ok. so the above says you did a knoppix install (a guess) since xfs is
> not a ususall choice for including in the kernel. this stanza says that
> you are using the 2.4.22 kernel with xfs included because the root
> partition may use it. it also says that your config also has an
> initrd(initial ram disk). this is used by the kernel to help with hard
> ware support. IIRC it contains kernel modules and other things.
>
> > THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD BE I GUESS
> >
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > map=/boot/map
> > image=/vmlinuz
> >      label=Linux
> >      initrd=/initrd.img
> > image=/vmlinuz.old
> >      label=Linux.old
> >      initrd=/initrd.img.old
>
> maybe. no sure. usually /vmlinuz is a symbolic link to
> /boot/vmlinuz-<version>. and /vmlimuz.old would be a link to an
> older/alternate /boot/vmlinuz-<version>. AND both kernels need initrd.
>
> > THIS IS WHAT I HAVE IN MY BOOT FOLDER AFTER INSTALLING KERNEL2.6.01-686
> > THE INSTALL ASKED IF I LIKE TO HAVE THE LINKS MADE AND i CONFIRMED WITH
> > YES. I DON'T SEE THE LINKS AND initrd.gz VERSES initrd.img TOTALLY GET ME
> > CONFUSED
> >

> > System.map -> System.map-2.4.22-xfs
> > System.map-2.4.22-xfs
> > System.map-2.6.0-1-686
> > boot.0340
> > config-2.4.22-xfs
> > config-2.6.0-1-686
> > debian.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp
> > debianlilo.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debianlilo.bmp
> > initrd.gz
> > initrd.img-2.6.0-1-686
> > map
> > sarge.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sarge.bmp
> > sid.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
> > vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
> > vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
> > vmlinuz-2.6.0-1-686
> >

> > Could someone please explain this to me?
>
> well I'd have to see you lilo.conf for exact details. but...
> since System.map is a simlink to System.map-2.4.22-xfs, it looks like
> you are set to boot 2.4.22 and not 2.6.0, since the simlink should be
> pointing there. BUT this depends on you lilo.conf.
>
> This is my guess as I'm not a kernel config expert.
> -Kev

You been keep saying that you need to see my lilo.conf. What you see above is
all I have in my lilo.conf.
Yes you are right I have a Knoppix install but I am not using the xfs file
system.
What is the difference between a initrd.img and a initrd.gz.

Most importend, how do I fix this to be compatible with the Debian standard.

--
Dennis Kaplan

http://vmclinks.com
http://guyscope.com