Re: Radeon 9200 poor performance with mplayer

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:14:47AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Fed up with the continual need to rebuild my nvidia driver on change of kernel
> version, I decided to upgrade to a radeon 9200 (gigabyte) last week.

I have a radeon 7500 running with X 4.3 from unstable. Are you sure that
you can't use X 4.3 from unstable?

> I have installed xfree 4.3 from experimental (necessary for the radeon driver
> to recognise the 9200) and preloaded agpgart.  I have specified dri in
> my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

I'm not sure if agpgart covers all AGP chipsets. I once had the problem
that I had compiled in AGP support but had chosen the wrong one (I chose
VIA instead of intel, because my motherboard is from via), and it
wouldn't work.

Try preloading the radeon module (even though xfree86 should load it
automatically).

Another thing is that you might have the wrong version of the radeon
module or something like that.

Also what does your config look like mine is:
Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Radeon"
	Driver		"ati"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

> There are two warnings that are slightly worrying in /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
>

> (WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
>
> But other than that it appears to work fine.

This is important. You need agp support in the kernel. If you can,
recompile a kernel and include the correct agp chipset (intel is
usually the right one). You'll also need to include the dri support
for the radeon as well.

These are the options to tweak:
CONFIG_AGP=y
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set