Re: Radeon 9200 poor performance with mplayer

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:14:47 +0000
Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> I have installed xfree 4.3 from experimental (necessary for the radeon
> driver to recognise the 9200) and preloaded agpgart.  I have specified
> dri in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

DRI should not be necessary for Video playback.

> There are two warnings that are slightly worrying in
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
> found

That only means the second head of the card which is reported as a
separate graphics device to the system is not configured. This is
harmless unless you want to use two monitors.

> (WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available

Again, this should not matter too much when playing video, but it
explains glxgears running slow.

> However running mplayer dvd:// with a dvd in my dvd drive, it pretty
> soon reports that it is not running fast enough, which is pretty
> obvious because the sound is all choppy

First thing I would check is if the DVD drive has DMA enabled. Since it
was working before, this should not be the problem but it is worth
checking.

Perhaps you could try your luck with the ATI driver. It can be a world
of pain but as long as you don´t need 3D acceleration, it works pretty
well. Just make sure you build a proper configuration with the included
tool.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de