Radeon 9200 poor performance with mplayer

Fed up with the continual need to rebuild my nvidia driver on change of kernel
version, I decided to upgrade to a radeon 9200 (gigabyte) last week.

I have installed xfree 4.3 from experimental (necessary for the radeon driver
to recognise the 9200) and preloaded agpgart.  I have specified dri in
my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

There are two warnings that are slightly worrying in /var/log/XFree86.0.log

(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available

But other than that it appears to work fine.

However running mplayer dvd:// with a dvd in my dvd drive, it pretty soon
reports that it is not running fast enough, which is pretty obvious because
the sound is all choppy

"glxgears" runs fine when small, but drops to about 7 frames a second when
expanded to nearly a full screen, so I assume some lack of hardware support
somewhere.

I am not sure what my next step might be - any ideas?

[nvidia board allowed mplayer to run just fine in an X-Window]

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk