Re: howto use "local" version of libcurl2 for single app

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:31:33AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:08:02AM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> > The most recent libcurl2/curl in SID breaks gotmail.
> > So I put it on hold and kept the N-1 version.
> >
> > But now I have to put openoffice.org-bin and the rest of
> > openoffice.org on hold, because it needs the newest libcurl2.
> >
> > How can I go ahead and update to the latest libcurl2 and openoffice
> > in my *main* dpkg, but just tell gotmail to use the N-1 version
> > of libcurl2?  I guess the N-1 version will just have to be unpacked
> > but not installed.
>
> No, unpacked-but-not-configured packages overwrite the previous version.
> You'll probably have to build libcurl2 N-1 from source, stick it in
> /usr/local or something, and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get gotmail to use
> it.

Thanks.  I meant "extracted" not unpacked -- taking the binary deb and
extracting it somewhere else.

I tried a bit to do what you suggested, but I'm not clever enough to
pull it off and I don't have the inclination to put in the time on that.

Fortunately gotmail is just a perl script so I was able to edit it to
add the "--insecure" option to not check the SSL cert which is what was
failing.  It's not like I get trusted mail over hotmail anyway -- it's
my crap account.

Temp workaround.