Problems in apache2 on Debian/Sarge

Hi,

I'm doing a little webserver testing on a Sarge system, and right away I
find the following two problems with apache2:

1. cgi scripts don't run.

Specifically, invoking either of the two test scripts, printenv and
test-cgi, results in their source being displayed. One is a perl script
and one is a bash script, both work fine in the shell. The URL's being
tested are

http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv
http://localhost/cgi-bin/test-cgi

I've tried using my host name and my ip address instead of "localhost",
no change.

2. The manual doesn't work.

The URL, http://localhost/manual

yields the literal text of the file "index.html" in the manual
directory, which is

URI: index.html.de Content-Language: de Content-type: text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1 URI: index.html.en Content-Language: en Content-type:
text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 URI: index.html.fr Content-Language: fr

If I use the URL, http://localhost/manual/index.xml then it generates a
page that _looks_ correct (e.g., just like on the Apache website), but
the links generate the kind of garbage shown above. Clearly
XSLT+XML=foobar.

The apache modules I have installed are
apache2-common
apache2-mpm-prefork
apache2-doc

I have used apt to remove/reinstall all of these, with manual deletion
of the conf files, in case the problem was due to a crufty
configuration.

Any help is appreciated. The cgi thing is more critical, but I'm sort of
surprised that the debian apache has these bugs out of the box.

TIA, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net