howto use "local" version of libcurl2 for single app

The most recent libcurl2/curl in SID breaks gotmail.
So I put it on hold and kept the N-1 version.

But now I have to put openoffice.org-bin and the rest of
openoffice.org on hold, because it needs the newest libcurl2.

How can I go ahead and update to the latest libcurl2 and openoffice
in my *main* dpkg, but just tell gotmail to use the N-1 version
of libcurl2?  I guess the N-1 version will just have to be unpacked
but not installed.

Thanks