Re: Using S.M.A.R.T. on a Software RAID

hi ya

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Robert James Kaes wrote:

> Hi,
> Does any one have any experience using S.M.A.R.T. (via smartmontools)
> to monitor their hard drives in a software RAID configuration?  It
> seems to me that using SMART would be a great way to let you know that
> one of the drives was about to die, but I don't know if the
> smartmontools package will work correctly when the RAID system is in
> production.

i "claim" that one should just buy better drives ...
than to monitor for it to fail
	( buy it brand new from the local pc store )
	( vs letting the ups/fedex gorillas toss it onto the shelf/floor
	( during transport/deliveries

	- different disks have different degree of success
	in its machines/environment

- i always add 1 fan per 7200rpm disk for cooling that puppy...
	way better than letting that disks run hot
	spend $3-$10now to save 100GB of data in 6months/years

	haven't had 7200rpm disks go bad except for those bad
	"ibm deathstars" ( deskstar ) made in thailand or hungry

- i use seagate, maxtor, wd ... 10GB - 300GBs...

c ya
alvin