Re: Using S.M.A.R.T. on a Software RAID

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Alvin Oga wrote:
> i "claim" that one should just buy better drives ...
> than to monitor for it to fail
> 	( buy it brand new from the local pc store )
> 	( vs letting the ups/fedex gorillas toss it onto the shelf/floor
> 	( during transport/deliveries
>
> 	- different disks have different degree of success
> 	in its machines/environment
>
> - i always add 1 fan per 7200rpm disk for cooling that puppy...
> 	way better than letting that disks run hot
> 	spend $3-$10now to save 100GB of data in 6months/years
>
> 	haven't had 7200rpm disks go bad except for those bad
> 	"ibm deathstars" ( deskstar ) made in thailand or hungry
>
> - i use seagate, maxtor, wd ... 10GB - 300GBs...

Thanks for the information.  I also have my hard drives cooled (in
this case, each hard drive has three fans blowing across it.)  I also
buy my hard drives locally and generally use Western Digital or
Maxtor.  These drives are great; however, _any_ drive will fail
eventually.  I'm just wondering if accessing /dev/hda and /dev/hdb
when they're in a software RAID (/dev/md) is possible when using a
tool like smartctl to retrieve the SMART information from each drive.

Even with all the cooling I have currently in the system, I've had
drives fail.  I would like them monitored so that I can have a new
drive ready before the old drive dies.  Using RAID mitigates the
problem to some extent, but it's not a complete solution.

I would test this out myself except that I have only one software
RAID system and it's in 24/7 production right now, so I don't really
want to mess with it without knowing exactly what will happen.

Thanks.
	-- Robert

--
    Robert James Kaes    ---  Flarenet Inc.  ---    (519) 426-3782
		 http://www.flarenet.com/consulting/