Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 05:49:52AM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:

> I use my laptop for both work and school, so any major changes (i.e. OS
> changes) are out of the question. If I had the drive space I'd just
> create a seperate partition to use Fedora on, but unfortunately I don't.
> And I hope I didn't come across as too negative towards RH in my earlier
> message. My comment about what's 'sickening' was in regards to the
> university's lack of understanding of free software and the Linux world
> in general, not a jab at RH.

I just fail to see why this is such a big deal.  Just look at it as another
chance to learn something different.  That's all.  Besides, like it or not,
Red Hat is widely used in the enterprise, so it may as well improve your
chances to find a job.  :-)

As for the comments on free software, Fedora is just as free software as
Debian.  Actually, even Red Hat is.  They have always released all their
source to the public.  Sure, we can talk about their business decisions,
but that has nothing to do with free software (that's precisely what made
me come back to Debian).  Fedora is free, just like Debian, Slackware and
even FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD.

Nitebirdz
http://www.sacredchaos.com/